What a great weekend it has been so far.
First I want to mention how happy we are to have heard from Bob York, the first owner of our boat. You can see his comment over on the bottom of the “Ships Company” page. Thanks Bob.
After work Friday night Lori and I went to the international dinner at the Church we attend.
A really good night with interesting missionary speakers and great food. Not to be missed.
After the dinner we ran by the house and grabbed Charlie, Titusville being our final destination at 11:30.
When we got to the boat we were surprised to find our boat had been moved 3 feet to Port and we had a new neighbor tucked in next to us. The move had left our extension ladder ajar and unsafe to climb. I readjusted it in the dark but because it is cabled and locked to the stern pulpit along with the step ladder (same cable and lock) the result was a lot of banging of aluminum ladders at close to midnight in the dark with only a iPhone as a light source. Lucky for use we were able to access the boat and disappear below before lights came on and shoes started flying.
Saturday morning we were up early and I was enjoying my customary mug of coffee. Stepping up into the cockpit I looked over towards our new neighbor.
Our former neighbor Rick on the other side of the new arrival was also up enjoying a coffee, he saw me and called across to me, “It looks like someone has finally come between us.” Very funny and well timed.
After coffee we got to work prepping for the new bottom paint. This involved using a recently purchased nylon brush on our drill.
Amazon purchased brush head.
The drill brush combo made quick work of all the small crustacean remnants still clinging to the hull. After that Lori and I got to work on finishing repairs to the hull from removing the transducers and installing the final thru hull.
two patch and the hole for the raw water intake thru hull
First I had to patch the two holes on the interior. Filling them with loose fiberglass.
Holes full of loose glass
We then mixed up a two part polyester epoxy, filled the holes and then laid on three layers of glass cloth. Now we were ready for the new thru hull.
Exterior of thu hull
Lori and I worked together using our cell phones to talk as she placed the exterior portion of the fitting and I screwed on the interior. We actually did this twice, first dry fitting and then a final fitting with gobs of 3M 5200 sealant to bed the fitting.
Raw water intake sea cock with patch visible to the left
After finishing the thru hull I applied a second coat of Marine Tex epoxy to the exterior of the two patches to smooth it out.
We were finally ready for paint.
Ablative bottom paint
I dawned a paper suit (poopy suit) as I did the lower sections of the hull, keel. A lot of dripping.
Then we got to business, finally our last section to paint before she goes back in the water.
My attempt at being artsy, note Lori’s legs.
Dinner and a Movie
After getting the first coat of paint on we called it quits for the night.
Dinner consisted of New York strip at Chef Larry’s followed by a trip to the movies.
We saw Captain America: Winter Soldier out at the Sears Town Mall in Titusville. A nice quiet place with no line to wait for seats. The movie was outstanding, I do think the Captain America franchise is one of my favorites.
Sunday morning after coffee a I took care of a few odds and ends.
Installed a set of new Navigation lights, now I just need to wire them.
I then repaired the manual bilge pump. At sometime in the past someone thought it was a good idea to install a T valve so the bilge pump could be used to pump poo overboard. I removed this option as we now have a proper electric waste pump for that. Surprisingly the old pump worked like a champ one the new clean hose was installed.
Manual bilge pump with new hose.
I then replaced the last part of the old waste system, about six foot of hose from the pump out deck fitting to the pipe under the ice box.
Sweet, I can fit in the locker, new hose being snaked in.
Charlie making sure I do it right.
After installing the hose we filled the waste tank once again. Marking the outside of the tank with a sharpy we hope to find it has not leaked when we get back to the boat next weekend.
After finishing the plumbing we put a second coat on the bottom of the hull.
Here is our patched holes and new thru hull.
Close to done, seen on the keel is the Marine Tex repair to Catalina Smile
Here she is with her new bottom, all done.
So we are done with painting until she is back in the water and we move on to doing the mast and finishing the cockpit.
Starting Monday we will be working on the engine and propulsion system. If we can get her she can be put back in the water. Progress…..