One thing a person does not think of when purchasing an old boat is the possibility of infestation.
We noticed a roach issue our first weekend. As a result we seeded the boat with Combat Roach Bait last weekend.
When we returned this weekend the Bell resembled a literal combat zone. Dead roaches everywhere. Roaches on the counters, on the sole, in the bilge, on the shelves, all dead. Amazingly effective bait.
Last weekend I rewired the breaker/fuse panels and Navigation station. This week I took to sorting out the interior lighting.
3 of the remaining interior lights were still using factory wire. These fixtures were dim and prone to flickering.
Investigating the issues I discover they were on average only getting 6 volt +\- a bit. The factory wire being buried in the ceiling is going bad.
I spent 5 hours today rewiring every interior light fixture. Now the factory wire has been abandoned.
It is looking as though we will be replacing every factory wire on the boat. Time to order a few more spools.
Other things, the pumps, they work
Also today we replaced the fresh water pressure pump. I wired it to the breaker panel and hit the switch, no water.
Hmm, maybe we are empty. I decided to top off the tank and find out. Hauled out the hose and hooked the boat to the spigot and started to fill her up.
After a moment I went below and tried the pump. Still no water. Pulled the hose off the inlet and sure enough water. Checked the input voltage with my meter. None. Ugg I had missed something.
I pulled open the breaker panel and sure enough I had wired the pump not to the water system switch but to the spreader light switch. Turned the new switch on and sure enough running water out of the tap. Nothing a little label maker work will not fix.
After letting the water run a for a few minutes and labeling a bunch of items I turned off the tap and the fresh water pump shut off, working perfectly. Just at that moment I realized the bilge pump was running.
I had forgotten the fill hose and water tanks had long since filled up and water was pouring into the boat through a damages vent line. The compartment under the Vberth had about 6″ of water that was overflowing into the bilge. Good thing I fixed that pump last week.
Luck for me Lori was at the marina swap meet, so no witness to my filling the boat with water.