Join us on a a voyage to the land of good e-nuff….

Our plodding pace of restoration has come to an end. Now we are faced with a deadline, in one month we will be boxed in by snow bird boats returning from their winter in the tropics, our boat will have to be moved, we prefer it to be into the water.

We need to fill the holes in the hull, paint finish painting her and drop in the Atomic 4 currently sitting partially assembled in the garage. We have about 3 weekends to get it all done.

Thru Hull

We started the week by drilling holes and in the hull for our 2 new thru hulls purchased from Defender.

First to get done was the galley sink thru hull.

enterior thru hull

aft thru hull for galley sink 1

Galley thru hull

Galley thru hull

Here is someone testing these particular thru hulls.

Very cool stuff..

Of course after replacing the valve we had to replace most of the galley drain plumbing as well.

Old…

old plumbing

old plumbing

New…

New plumbing...

New plumbing…

Painting the stripes.

She has her stripes again.

We managed to get her taped and painted with two coats of Navy Blue. Moving along..

Lori Painting stripes

Lori Painting stripes

Note on Lori’s shirt. I am no longer a CWA member, I paid dues to strike, not have the union push the company contract so they can send the money to Washington leftist, 65% of dues go to the national, aka Democratic party. errrrrrrr

Here she is

Here she is

Looking bow on...

Looking bow on…

On to the Bottom and motor install

Now we have to finish the bottom. This involves a new raw water intake thru hull and removing two old transducers for instruments no longer in use and patching the holes.

Old transducers and new bulkhead material.  DC wiring is temporary, plan on mounting heat exchanger on this board.

Old transducers and new bulkhead material. DC wiring is temporary, plan on mounting heat exchanger on this board.

In the above photo you can see the new backing block for the raw water intake thru hull with light coming up from the hole, the two old thru hull transducers (one depth, one speed wheel), New forward bulkhead epoxy coated plywood panel for the heat exchanger. The far plywood bulkhead will be used to mount the raw water strainer and fresh water loop circulation pump. Behind it is the new waste tank from Catalina Direct.

Aft bulkhead panel for ignition coil

Aft bulkhead panel for ignition coil

I also epoxy coated and mounted an aft panel to mount the ignition coil and ballast resistor on.

We removed the old transponders and I ground the exterior on interior glass. Here is a picture of the fiberglass mat I put on the exterior to start plugging the holes.

2 layers of mat, starting the hole repair.

2 layers of mat, starting the hole repair.

Over this mat on the outside I have already spread a thick layer of Marine Tex marine epoxy. I will sand it down smooth. On the inside I will fill with loose glass and then lay over a 12-1 fiberglass mat patch, it will be less the pretty but should not leak.

Up Next

We purchased 2 gallons of red ablative bottom paint. One thing that you don’t realize is that copper impregnated paint is heavy, heavier than normal paint by quite a bit.

On the to do list in the next few weeks.

Finish patching the two holes.
Install the raw water intake thru hull.
Clean the hull in prep for paint.
Paint the bottom.
Install a new zinc on the prop shaft.
Install new three blade prop.
Install motor.

Put her back in the water.

Easy, just a walk in the park…..

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s