It has been a very busy week here on the farm. With spring arriving and the need to plant this years crop………….
Sorry, I forgot this is a boat blog so on with it…
Engines and work and solvent in the face…
Lets us travel back to earlier in the week. After getting home from work I felt it a good idea to clean our motor.
Simple Green does a decent job of removing 50+ years of grease from our old mill. After doing some cleaning I found a stamp with a casting date on it of April 1966. Pretty cool.
To enable cleaning of the block I removed the carb and fuel pump. Of course I then endeavored to clean those also. It is a Zenith carburetor with a manually adjustable jet, old school and very nice.
There was a bit of gunk in the carb so I started shooting the passages with cleaner. Being brilliant I sprayed into the carb not thinking of how it was going to spray back into my face. Here I reenact the event.
Thankfully I wear glasses and they saved my eyesight in addition to capturing some of the crud flying from the passages of the carb.
After rinsing my face in the sink I then rebuilt the fuel pump. It had some corrosion also.
I used a Moyer Marine rebuild kit on the pump, excellent product.
Also last week I did some more work rebuilding the water jacket. JB Weld to the rescue.
I used the old style runny type for the first coat. The second coat I used the 2 part putty, I really did not like it as much, even though it is usable being that it is 80 degrees here it set up in about 4 minutes and was did not adhere to the metal nearly as well a the runny sort. The third coat I did with the old style, much better.
Jigs, Mounts, Couplers, Kites, Parks and such
Also at the house I bought a small piece of 3/4 plywood and made a jig for the motor. Measuring out the dimensions of the motor and its mounts. I will be using this to aid in setting up the engine beds of the Bell so when the time comes we can just drop the motor and motor mounts in with minimal hassle.
I had to work Saturday so we did not get to work on the boat until Sunday.
Starting to line up the jig I realized the existing engine coupler was wrong. It had 4 bolt holes and not the 3 used by the Atomic 4. It needed to come off.
It was held on with 2 set screws, they were corroded so I spayed them with some penetrating oil and tapped on them with a hammer. One turned out to be stripped and the second was stuck so tightly that I broke my alan wrench. Drilling them out only resulted I one broken and one dulled drill bit.
Not wanting to cut propeller shaft to remove the coupler I busted out the SawZall and lucky for us the metal of the coupler is much softer than the stainless steel shaft. It only took 3 blades to cut it in half.
After fighting with the coupler Lori and I took a break and with Charlie in tow walked over to the park (on the other side of our fence). They were having the “Indian River Festival”.
They had a neat kite exhibit.
Also some vendor tents, food and nicknacks.
We walked around the park for the first time. Sure we looked through the fence, even drove into the park and ate a pizza at a table but never before had we walked the entire thing.
After our park visit we got the motor beds cut down.