I guess it is time to face the music. We will be very fortunate if the Bell sails before September.
I Took this week off from turning wrenches on the motor. I needed a break.
I can say it is not really a surprise what I found last Saturday, just that I am glad we had the motor failure before placing it on the boat.
I went to the local Dollar General and purchased 3 butter knives for $1, to be used to shim the head so I could remove it.
After removing and inspecting the head I found I had broken a valve thanks to my using excessive force with the pry bar.
Here is the head.
After examining things I could not find the source of the water coming out of #3 cylinder but there was evidence of water there, just no apparent gasket failure or crack. I then proceeded to turn the motor with a big spanner on the output shaft. Sure enough I found the leak in #3.
If you look at the photo on the right hand cylinder wall there is a black spot. That spot is a hole. The water jacket side of the cylinder was so corroded it blew out. Causing the water leak.
Inquiring online and at the boatyard the consensus it I should take this motor to the Stradley’s Machine shop on Main street in Titusville. The re-sleeve will cost roughly $500 and possible another $250+ for new pistons and rings. The good part is we will have basically a new motor when done, the bad, aside from cost, is I have to tear down the motor to a bare block for them to work on it. I will start by next week, everything has to be removed, studs, valves, crank, pistons. A lot of work.
Cushions and Blinds
Lori bought some cushions last week for the Bell.
She purchased them at the Christmas Tree Shop for a fraction of the cost of “Marine” custom cushions. The fit well and tolerate moisture , UV and stains as they are for patio furniture.
We also installed the rest of the Mini blinds, a project we had started last year when the Bell was still in the water.
Lori also purchased LED string light that are solar powered, they give a good mood lighting to the cabin and don’t even draw on the main batteries. We stuck the small solar panels behind the forward most blinds. The setup seems to work well as the panels are not even noticeable.
Before leaving the Lori Bell last Sunday Lori and I took a bottle of champagne up onto the cabin top. It was twilight an getting cool enough that I had to wear a sweet shirt.
We poured ourselves each a small cup of champagne and said a prayer asking the Lord to bless the Bell and all who sailed on her. We drank our portions and gave the rest to the water.
The entire evolution was quite enjoyable, romantic and traditional.
Notes on Boats and Priorities
Lori and I have been very busy with multiple other project besides the Bell that a quite a bit more important to both of us. We did do a push to get her done but we are not quite there yet.
We have discussed it at length and we are grateful for the chance to work on her and get it right. However we are more grateful we have good friends and family we hope to share her with in the future. Every day is a blessing and we wish to share our days with others, that is part of the reason for getting a bigger boat and all of this work.
For all of you who follow this blog and have supported us in all we are working on accomplishing here and elsewhere Lori and I offer our heart felt thanks.