Numbers – Radio and AIS information that need to be done.
Today I was looking at AIS class B transceivers to go with our VHF DCS radio.
In reading about features and such on our VHF and and AIS we will need to program both with an MMSI number. What is an MMSI number? Well it is a nine-digit number “Maritime Mobile Service Identity ” that when you use a digital radio or such identifies your boat in a Data base.
If you are not leaving the United States an MMSI number can be had for free at Towboat US.
They put it in a stateside database that the Coast Guard uses. However this database does not work overseas in places like, well the Bahamas for example. For that you need to sign up with the FCC and actually get a number licensed to your boat. Uggggg.
First you will need a FRN number and login, you get this by entering yourself in the FCC database.
After you get your FRN you apply with an form 605 available here.
It states you may also have to do a 159,160 or 1070y, I did not have to myself, even though I spent a few hours fighting with these forms (going in numeric order) until giving up and doing the 605. It allowed me to pay the fee online and they sent me a receipt.
When filling out the 605 you enter emergency contacts and some basic ships data that will go into the Coast Guard database. Cost from FCC $215. Good for 10 years.
Last week we removed our boom end castings and the mast step to be media blasted and powder coated. Heard back from the fellow doing the work and it seems our goose neck end casting is shot.
This is the type of thing that can only be found by disassembling. Lori and I got lucky we in deciding to get the ends made pretty again as we could have skipped the step and someday we could be running downwind and Gybe just to have the casting fracture under load. Not good.
We have a call in to Catalina Yachts for a new casting. If they can not supply one I have found one from Catalina Direct we can use but it requires a bit of cutting to make fit. Hopefully Catalina comes through for us.
Also blasted was the mast step.
We decided not to attach our shackles to our halyards with spliced eyes. Opting instead for the flexibility of knots. So I finished whipping the ends of the running rigging we have on hand. We do have two more halyards coming as we have the sheaves for 4 at the masthead and a mid mast sheave for a storm sail.
We also purchased some end dip in case we did not like the results of the old school whipping. I prefer whipping but since we had the dip we opted to coat the whipped ends just for good measure.
I think this guy is waiting for Abby to come out and play. He let me within 10 feet or so.