Had a very busy long weekend working on the boat and motor. Things are going swimmingly.
Our new Achilles dink has been ordered from Defenders annual spring sale. We are looking forward to using it on future trips.
We wanted something that can hold 4 adults and gear was reliable and light. Working with our little Honda outboard we should be set up well with this purchase.
We also added a bit or gear to the SUV. A cargo rack the fits in the receiver hitch. It works great hauling our cooler and water cask. It will also come in handy once we have the baby as we will not have to haul fuel inside the vehicle and will free up space for strollers and such.
After several months of working on the mast or motor full time we have finally been able to turn our attention back to the boat. Our first order of business was installing our new fuel tank that we received from Catalina Yachts.
First we had to remove the old tank.
Funny that on the old tank you can see lines where the boat had flooded in the past. It did not seem to have any holes but at over 30 years of age we figure it best to replace as we are going from diesel to gas and the thing has years of crud and corrosion.
As an added bonus I was able to retrieve the flash light I dropped down in the skeg when replacing a broken transom thru hull about a year ago.
After the fuel tank we moved onto electrical work. I spent some time figuring out the Dual AB switches on the battery banks. I came to the conclusion we only needed one AB switch. A for the yet to be installed starter battery and B for the house bank. We can use the switch to isolate the start battery from the house when starting but we can gang them together for charging once underway or when locked up and using the solar panel.
It looks as though we will be putting the Start battery in a box next to the fuel tank, I will have to glass some wood to hull to secure the box in place. By putting the start battery in the back we will have more room in the engine bay for our fresh water cooling and its heat exchanger and pump.
I also did some other wire work, I was able install the running lights wire them up. We now have function Nav lights like a real boat should.
As I was installing the stern lamp I also took the time to reattach the manufacturers number plate.
As I had the galley drawers pulled to run wire I took the time to get out the heat gun and heat all the waste hose clamps and tighten them down again. Let me tell you the heat gun is great, after doing this I filled the waste system to overflowing with fresh water. Not a sign of a single leak. It is safe to say the waste system is 100% done and ready for service.
After rewiring the AB switch and some other DC lines we thought it best to open the bilge and check that the pump was still functional. It worked like a champ to our surprise the bilge was dry. The Bell has always had a wet bilge, even on the hard it would make water when it rained. It appears the sealing of the new mast step had done the trick, she is now a dry boat.
We have scheduled Friday, April 10 as the day we step the mast and place the motor in the boat. The A-bomb is running strong and is ready.