Motor Work- another bite of elephant, num num num…..

With all the baby doings in addition to birthdays and holidays we have not been able to make it out to the Bell lately.

However we have not been idle on working on things as I have spent a lot of time in the garage working on the motor.

I had finally got the motor back together and was going through the Moyer Marine manual of check post rebuild.  One of the first steps is to make sure the oil pump is working properly.  To do this you need to crank the motor with no plugs and achieve 20psi of oil pressure.  Of course to crank the motor you need to wire the starter and since I am having to build an entire motor control panel I endeavored to get that done in the process.

New control panel

New control panel

All the gauges are new.  It has fuel, water temp, oil psi and tachometer.  The tachometer is the only non-marine gauge in the panel, it is digital and was only about $15 or so.  I had to map everything out and drill the holes for each component.

For switches it has a run, start and bilge/engine blower switch. The small mark in the middle is the future position of the choke knob.

Next was to wire it.

rats nest of wire

rats nest of wire

I then made a wire harness with all the applicable leads and encased it in fire retardent loom so it looks nice.

Motor ready to fire up.

Motor ready to fire up.

You can see the harness to the right of the bucket as well as a sizable amount of slack bundled that I left to aid in installation on the Bell.

I then tried to get the required 20psi of oil pressure required to have a safe start of the motor. This is done by cranking it with the starter at about 200rpm with no plugs and checking with a manual guage.  I could not get any pressure,  after asking around I surmised I had left out an oil gallery plug inside the engine.

our missing plug

our missing plug

I had to take the motor back apart, removing the flywheel, transmission and oil pan to check all 3 gallery plugs and find which one was the culprit.

After ordering another set of gaskets and putting the motor back together yesterday I was successful in getting the 20psi required.   After which I set the timing and installed the spark plugs and wires.

This morning Lori and I went out and filled the bucket of cooling water and our temp shop fuel jug seen hanging from the hand truck above.

We got her to start and after a bit of fiddling she would idle nicely at 850rpm.

In the video I show the 850rpm (looks fine in person), water temp at 155 and oil pressure at 20psi.   The oil pressure was low still.  I had to replace the old style regulator I had installed with a new style one that originally came with this block, seems the seat for the regulator was worn to match and was not making a good seal, We now have the oil pressure right were it belongs. Note that in the video water is moving through the motor pretty well.

Next up is re-torquing the head bolts and fixing a oil weep on the starboard side of the transmission and a water leak at the pump face.  The transmission will need to be pulled again but it is not the end of the world.

After these last few items are sorted out we can drain the oil and drop the motor on the boat.   Getting closer.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s