Sleeping under the stars.

We did a trip out the the Bell this weekend and spent Sunday night under the stars.   Feeling a cool breeze on a cloudless night watching the sky scroll past.

One thing about the Vberth is you can prop the forward hatch all the way open and then you have a convertible bedroom.   Last night in the 70s with a light sea breeze and things were perfect.  Lori is a trooper being 7 months along and clambering up into the berth.  Thankfully the head on the boat is now functional so no more need for long trips ashore when nature calls at midnight, that would just be too much.

We never sleep better than when we are on the boat and last night was a gentle reminder of why we love the boat and miss nights on the hook.

Sorry, no photos of this.  Our iPhones take pretty poor night photos (probably a way to do it but needs research).

Controls and such

I worked on control cables and routing this weekend.

Cutting up a piece if angle iron (?) purchased at our local Ace Hardware I re-purposed some of the hold downs from the diesel controls that I had removed from the boat.

New bracket

New bracket, Abby approves.

This bracket will hold the throttle and choke cable so they will properly align with the Carb.

This bracket will hold the throttle and choke cable so they will properly align with the Carb.

I dry fit these and roughly attached the cable and lucky for me everything fit after about three or four configuration attempts. I have brought the entire assembly home and plan on painting it to match with left over motor paint.

Also accomplished was using the sawzall to remove the corroded bolts from the cabin sole that hold the throttle cable in position to shift the transmission. New bolts and a backer block now line everything up nicely.

Corroded bolts in the sole next to shaft log access.

Corroded bolts in the sole next to shaft log access.

Now all that is left to do with the controls is the installation of the levers in the cockpit. I fabricated a new backing board for them this weekend as the original plywood was rotten so next weekend I will tackle that task.

Exhaust

Last week I had ordered new iron pipe from McMaster Carr to make an exhaust riser.

My new water injection port from Moyer Marine.

My new water injection port from Moyer Marine.

New pipe going together.

New pipe going together.

New pipe installed waiting for heat wrap.

New pipe installed waiting for heat wrap.

After getting the pipe fitted to the motor I started to line it up with the water lift muffler.  After removing a small fragment of exhaust hose from the inlet port I discovered it had a 2″ port not the 1.5″ port I need to match my exhaust  manifold or the 1.5″  exit port on the same muffler.  I just assumed inputs and outputs would match.  Scratch one muffler, it will not work and a new one has been ordered.  If the water lift that came with the boat had worked I would now be done with exhaust work, oh well.

Other stuff

After the muffler I installed an overflow tank for the cooling system.   We are now done with the cooling system except for the 2 missing parts, a anti-siphon loop and a raw water strainer.  Both have been ordered and are int he mail.

I started on installation of the fuel system, putting a shutoff valve in the galley.

Even with old school clicker labeling.

Even with old school clicker labeling.

I will be mounting the filter/water separator below it in the engine compartment.

I also replaced the “DIESEL” labeled 1.5″ deck fill with a new one properly labeled “Gas” since now we will be burning petroleum.

Another task I accomplished this weekend is I wired up the engine control panel and blower into ships power. You can now energize the panel, turn on the blower, turn on the ignition and  hear the fresh water cooling pump start to work.

Blower hose to the bilge, it works, you can feel the exhaust coming out the vent topside.

Blower hose to the bilge, it works, you can feel the exhaust coming out the vent topside.

Also visible in the above photo is the wrapped exhaust, failed black water lift muffler, finished raw water lines. On top of the motor is a small secondary fuel filter to go between the fuel pump and carburetor.

Next week.

We were hoping to finish things off next week.  A short list of what is left to do.

  • install anti-siphon loop
  • install raw water strainer
  • install control lever assembly in the cockpit
  • install fuel line
  • install fuel filters
  • install fuel tank fill hose
  • install fuel tank vent line
  • install new thru hull for fuel line vent
  • final cleaning of Carburetor
  • install throttle and choke cable to carb
  • flush and fill fresh water jacket
  • start motor
  • move to new marina
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s