Signs Of Life..

This morning as I was working away in the quarter berth Lori called to me.

“Check this out.”

She was laying on the port settee keeping her feet above her heart due to ankle swelling.  Her sleeping T shirt was stretched across her amply belly and sure enough things were happening.

Baby girl must have been dancing a jig in her belly because it was rocking and rolling as she turned side to side and poked with her feet. Holy smokes, that baby is active.

Boat work

Yesterday afternoon we got to the boat with a relatively small number of parts in a box but a long list of things to do.

Engine Wiring

First thing I tackled was sorting out engine bay wiring a bit.  I decided terminal strips were in order to allow for flexibility.  Adding a Hobbs (hours) meter to the mix being part of the reasoning.

3 power strips

3 power strips

The top strip is energized when the Run switch is thrown in the cockpit this runs the coil, coolant pump (FWC).

The second strip is fed from the oil pressure cutoff switch (sourced from the run strip).  This runs the fuel pump and hobbs meter.  It only gets energized if the motor is turning and there is over 5 psi in the oil galleries.

The third strip is just a ground negative battery terminal tied to the engine block.

Control Cables

After fiddling with the wire I moved onto working on the engine controls.

First installing the throttle and choke cable bracket I made from uni-strut.

Nice yellow bracket installed on motor.

Nice yellow bracket installed on motor.

Here is the finished bracket after a few more adjustments.

Here is the finished bracket after a few more adjustments.

If you notice in the second photo there is no carburetor, after lining up the cables I removed it for one last cleaning before starting the motor on the boat.

After the throttle controls I connected up the shift cable.

Finally connected.

Finally connected.

For the cockpit controls and the backing block for the shift cable under the sole I had to bust out the resin.  Smelly, yes, but good for preserving wood in a wet environment.

Resin coated blocks.

Resin coated blocks.

After judicious use of a hole saw and a bit of fitment work the blocks and controls are installed.

Yay, controls,  It shifts and manipulates the throttle just fine.

Yay, controls, It shifts and manipulates the throttle just fine.

This is a big deal,  the boat did not come with any functional engine controls. Through using the internet and scavenging from the seized up controls that came with the boat we now have a functional setup.   With a bit of tweaking we will be good to go.

Fuel System

Also this weekend I worked on the fuel system.  It involved bolting down the fuel tank to the hull and replacing the vent line as well as the thru hull vent.

New fuel tank vent.

New fuel tank vent on transom.

Tank with new vent line.

Tank with new vent line.

I removed the old too short fuel filler hose and measured it.  As it is six inches too short to reach the new tank fill I ordered a piece of hose seven feet long (a foot longer than the old filler hose) We will not be able to gas up the boat until this hose is installed.

I also installed our primary fuel filter and water separator.

Fuel filter and water seperator

Fuel filter and water separator

Start Battery

We got the start battery installed this weekend.  It it is under the quarter berth next to the fuel tank.

Start Battery

Start Battery

It is not the best place but space concerns made me compromise on this.  I did put a backer block and strapped the battery box down so it will not move about.

More Signs

After putting the battery in we (Lori manning the hose and me the manual bilge pump) flushed out the engine block water  jacket via the heat exchanger thru the electric coolant pump into the bilge.

Our dry bilge, taken before the water jacket flush.

Our dry bilge, taken before the water jacket flush.

Once about 10 gallons pumped out of the block we got nice clear water,  all the rust and crud left from the machine shop and subsequent work are no longer in the motor.

Our automatic bilge pump works great, I also tried my hand on the manual pump.  It works fairly well but I do think it could use a rebuild.   We cleaned the bilge as good as possible to remove all the sediment from years of neglect and our motor flushing.

We then filled the heat exchanger with antifreeze, making a point get as much air out of it as possible. Once the heat exchanger was done we tested turning over the motor.

Just awesome,   Lori and I were both excited….

Four Missing Parts

We need the following parts to be able to start the motor.

  • Anti-siphon loop for raw water- (came in mail Saturday while we were at the boat)
  • Raw water strainer- Ordered from Defender, should be here this week.
  • Muffler- I found one online a stainless Moyer Marine muffler and it should be here this week.
  • Fuel Filler hose 7 feet 1.5 inch- Ordered Saturday as Ace did not have it in stock, hope it shows up this week.

I also need to clean the carberator and put together all the fuel lines etc, not a bit deal, all the heavy lifting is done.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s