Things started slowly last Saturday. I was a bit frazzled and enjoyed the morning drinking coffee and enjoying hanging out around the house.
After lunch we started to get ready to head out to the boat. I had to load up the dink and get ice and fuel as well as the main sail out of the garage.
Pulling the dinghy out of the garage I figured it was a good time to practice inflating the thing so I would not have to guess at how it works once on the boat.Achilles LS4.
The boat itself weighs probably just 30 lbs or so with the wood floor weighing about the same. It is easy enough to tote it around as long as you do not pack the floor in with the dink.
It unfolds.It took 9 minutes to pump it up using the supplied foot pump at a leisurely pace, switching the hose between the fore and aft chambers half way through. Deflating and folding it back into the case took 2 minutes. Boat
We got to the boat pretty late in the day and I just had enough time to load all the supplies aboard before a squall hit. She was rocking and rolling as we left to go get dinner.After dinner we called it a night, as we got up with the sun in the morning. Following breakfast and coffee I got to work on the boat. First order of business I went to work on the gauges. Replacing the water temperature and fuel gauge. The fuel gauge replaced I looked at the sender, it measures open (should be 6-260 or so ohms) so a replacement is on order now. After the electrical work I tightened some bolts and adjusted the reverse band on the Atomic 4. Once the I had the motor and electronics sorted I started her up. She ran for 10 to 20 seconds and died.
After attempting to restart for a minute or so I had to troubleshoot.
Pulled the #1 plug, good spark.
Disconnected the fuel pump from the carb and hot wire the pump to run. The pump made noise but no fuel came out. Uggggh. The fuel pump was the last part still in service from before the rebuild, I guess it wanted to retire.So ended our plans to take her sailing for the first time.
I actually did do some work toward getting our sailboat to actually, well sail.
I busted out the Loose gauge and adjusted the turnbuckles so the shrouds have proper tension.I also replaced a too short halyard with a longer one that can double as a topping lift. I sewed the the two together and pulled the new one up the mast using the old as a messenger. I also ran the furling line for the jib. We need 2 new fair-leads to make it run smoothly. They are on order so we should be good to go.
Also spent some time securing some bits in the cabin that have been loose since we bought the boat. Drawers, bar, gear.And got rid of the hump in the engine hatch using a hammer for a little manual persuasion.