Cushions, Baby, Fish Sandwich and Storms.

Interior Cushions

A few weeks ago I picked up a set of interior cushions through the Catalina 30 Owners Facebook group.

As they needed to be mailed the seller removed the foam and just sent the outer shells.   We had to order new 3″ foam online.  This turned out to be a good thing as we were able to source a very firm 16+ year foam for a fraction of the local price from Foambymail.com.

It came vacuum packed (free shipping) and as soon as we opened it expanded 300%.  Sorry, forgot to photograph this.

I then placed the cushions for the Salon on the foam (inside out to keep from leaving sharpie marks) to plan our cuts.

One full sheet of foam pretty well did all the cushions for the salon.  I imagine it would take  1 sheet to do the vberth and another for the quarter birth.  At $125 a sheet the improvement on 30 year old foam is not to bad.  We will probably redo the vberth next.

We used a Electric kitchen knife with Pam on the blade to do the cuts,  very easy, like butter.

Here they are packed into the back of the Escape along with the new fender boards.

WP_20160830_17_39_33_Pro

 

Dinner

After running by the polling place and casting our votes we drove out to the marina and had dinner at Boondocks.

I really enjoyed their fish Rueben.

Storm

After dinner we dropped off the cushions at the Lori Bell and worked on getting her ready for the possibly approaching tropical storm.  The sun had just set.

A

After sunset from the cockpit.

We took the time in the dark to remove the main sail and stow it below.   I then wrapped the furling jib with the spare halyard to protect it from high winds.   We added some dock lines and also added a proper fender board where the boat touches the dock piling.

It was a late night but a least we are prepared for the coming storm.

Advertisements

Time and Tide wait for No Man

Going Outside

Last Saturday night we went to the boat late.  In part hoping it would be cooler and also to allow us to leave in the morning with the tide.

When we booked our slip at this marina they made it clear that the channel was shallow.  With a 3 foot tidal swing we would have to enter and exit our slip at the top half of the tide.   This last weekend we discovered it to be the top quarter or just the top of the tide actually.

On rising early Sunday we had a light breakfast and cast off.  It was about 8:20am as we motored out of the marina. We noted a low of 5.1 feet on the sounder on our way out.

We proceeded south on the Halifax river with the outgoing tide,  with the engine just above idle we were making a good 4 to 5 knots thanks to the current.

Going out the inlet from the north was a bit unremarkable except at one point we saw only 7 feet under the keel near the before entering the main channel.  This I noted because on returning if the tide was lower we would have to exit south and enter the ICW south of the cut, adding a mile or two to the trip.

What to do with a sick dog.

This is the point at which my plan for a nice trip started to go not so nice.   As we exited the inlet the seas got confused.   Pretty standard as the outgoing tide and river meat the onshore swell.   Think washing machine chop and a bit of swell tossed in for kicks.

Lori did not enjoy the motion but baby Elizabeth seemed ok.

Poor Lucky dog started to get sick all over the cabin.   Fellow just could not handle the motion.   Lori had to keep Elizabeth out of it and clean up the mess as the boat bobbed and rolled out past the jetty.    Once past the sea bouy thing smoothed to a gentle swell.   We sailed around a bit and took some photos.

Unlucky for us the poor dog continued to get sick,  we decided to head in.

Tides

I had initially planned to stay outside for a few hours, but with the illness and basic unpleasant feeling below we arrived at the marina in at low tide. 12:30 or so.  As we had to wait to enter we motored around a bit and then tossed out the anchor.   At about 3 pm we tried to get in, being the tide was incoming and mid way.  No go, we ran aground on a bar and after attempting to plow thru the mud got hung up.   Lucky for us a fellow boater helped pull us off.    We then proceeded to motor south against the tide, waiting until 6 pm to get into the marina.   Not optimal.    Looking at it in hindsight we should have dropped  down river and ate at one of the local restaurants to wait out the tide.  As it was it turned out to be a very long and hot day.

We need to think on this Marina thing in the long term, it is ok for the next year or two but in the future, not so sure.

Future Plans

I have been tossing about the idea of getting my Six Pack Nearshore license with a Sail Endorsement.

This would allow me to hire myself and the boat out for Sailing charters.  Not as lucrative as fishing charters but it may allow me to make some cash after retirement.   Of course I would need to get 320 more days sailing in with 90 of them being Nearshore  (outside the 2 mile mark) in the 3 years before applying for the license.     The doing the math that is 2 trips on the boat a month for the next six years.  Note the timer on the sidebar.  At that point we plan to take a year or two and sail off to parts north and south.  This should allow me to get my numbers, I can then take the classes required and be good to go.

This of course is only one of our plans,  another may be for Lori to get a DODs teaching job overseas and us doing that, maybe she could get Cuba and I can bring the boat.