I have been spending some quality togetherness time with the C10.
I endeavored to pull the motor, and to make it easier I have pushed her up closer to the garage and put up the awning we use at the beach to keep the sun off the work area. A good setup if I say so myself, coupled with a nice fan it is almost comfortable even in the peak of the afternoon heat.
I had to disconnect everything from the engine and transmission. The drive shaft, all wiring, fuel, exhaust, gauges. It all adds up to a lot of bolts and small parts in plastic bags. PB Blaster is your friend, along with a pneumatic ratchet and impact gun.
I did document a lot of what we had with photos, this should really help when hooking up the wire harness.
We had purchased a lift on Craigslist and put it to work after we had pulled the fan and radiator to protect them from a swinging motor.
Then came the lifting.
We took our time pulling it out, no one wants to be rash when swinging 500 lbs around.
After we got the old engine out I pulled the transmission an bell housing off.
Followed by the clutch basket, pressure plate and clutch. I then cleaned up the flywheel and measured it for run out.
After finding the flywheel to be in good shape I took it to a machine shop to be resurfaced.
Now we move to the new 350 we purchased to replace the 283 we pulled.
The first part has been added to it, an Edelbrock 7101 intake manifold. A part the Larry had purchased, I think he was planning to upgrade and it never happened.
I hope to get the Harmonic balancer and carb on the engine this week. I hope to get the flywheel back from the Machine shop and install the new clutch and put the transmission back on. Hopefully next weekend we can drop the new engine into the truck.
Oh, and we replaced that broken garage door.
This post was sponsored by a 3 year old girl with access to a camera, eating seafood Louisiana style.
Here are some clearer photos.