Looks like the shift cable for our A4 has decided to call it quits. Time to see if West Marine can duplicate it.
Having identified and fixed the overheating issues with Lori Bell the decision has been made that we should actually sail our sailboat.
The overheating issue was caused by the method used to clean the block at the machine shop in Titusville. They had media blasted the cooling section as best as possible before installing new sleeves. They did not hat dip the block as there was not tank available. Quite a bit of crud was left inside the channels of the block and head and due to the cooling system now being a closed loop this crud had collected at the lowest point in the loop, the hose between the electric pump and block. If I had descaled the motor after the rebuild these issues may have been avoided.
With a functionibg motor at high tide I left our marina in Wilbur for the last time. Our first time out in over 2 years. I proceeded to Seven Seas boatyard and had her hauled out.
She has a fresh bottom now., The first since May of 2014. The good news is West Marine was having a BOGO on bottom paint, nice at over $130 a gallon.
We put on the foresail and at a sedate speed of just 3.5 knots sailed up to our new slip. She is across the river just 1.3 miles from the house. Now to get back into the groove.
List of things to do.
- Descale the motor
- Change the oil
- Tune the rig
- Place the mainsail
- Replace the traveler
- Replace cabin top handrails (have a call in to Catalina about a new set)
- Fix the AIS
- Calibrate the autopilot
- Figure out why the depth sounded is not working
Over Christmas vacation we were in Sanford working on our old digs, getting them ready to sell. As we do not have kitchenware we ran by one of those fast food joints and headed to the lakefront to enjoy a view with our dinner.
As we ate we notice one, then two, then three fire trucks heading towards Marina island. Of course we had to see what was up.
Sure enough there was a boat fire at the marina. Smoke was coming out of a cruiser we guessed to be a 30ft with inboard motors.
We could not see the name on the boat as there was a hard bottomed dink strapped to the transom but it looked pretty nice. Sporting a good quality dink, marine radar and communications mast.
Smoke was coming from the cabin and as the firemen were working we saw flames licking up from the fantail area in front of the dink.
A fire hose was produced and a chainsaw started to work and although obscured we assume they cut a hole in the deck and sprayed into the cavity underneath the deck.
After they appeared to get the fire under deck (one can assume engine fire) under control the fire crew proceeded to liberally spay down the inside of the cabin and cockpit.
Lori and I found the entire event quite traumatic. What if that was our boat motor on fire? Our cockpit being hosed down? Our prayers go out to the boat owner.
After a bit we left the drama of the fire with fire crews roaming about. The boat was still afloat and by later in the day that followed it was gone so we can guess the owner had it towed and pulled.
She still floats. I now have an Alexa boat list of work to be done to her. She will be getting a new bottom (osmosis) once the Sanford house sells.
Thinking about the boat.. Will get back to it in the next few months. I hope.
I just realized a few of my latest posts did not get published. Most likely my fault.
So we now live beach side, are attempting to get our old inland home ready to sell and are about to get slammed by a hurricane. Granddad’s truck is running fine. Now back to it…
Waiting for parts.
The truck saga has new urgency today. This relates directly to the Lori Bell and actions surrounding it.
Last week we visited the Bell. She sits in her slip covered in sad green mildew. Her batteries float at 13.5 volts on the solar panel and the interior sees the predations of time and inattention. On leaving her we discussed speeding the repairs to the broken pressure washer I got for free from a friend.
Driving the block to the beach ramp we noticed an Open House at a residence for sale, stopping to look at it we discussed it was not what we wanted but we would love to live beachside.
Stopped by the boat as another hurricane approaches. Looking at the float on the house batteries it is time to replace them. If we survive this event that will be first on the list, followed by getting her moved to a marina close to the house.Have our new to us place beach side all buttoned up. Let us hope this is a big non event. The next few days will tell. Here is the surf as of September 2nd, 2019 just down the street. Not a good day to be out in the ocean unless you are a adrenaline junkie with a death wish.
Irma has long since gone. The Bell came thru with not even a scratch so I call that another win.
During the hurricane someone broke into the ships store and stole some merchandise and the boaters lounge and stole some beer. Just goes to show that people stink.
In unrelated news I have not heard from our diver since Irma, strange he has been cleaning our boats since we had the Knot A Clew. Looks like this week I will be looking into a new diver.
I plan on moving the boat to a non tidal restricted marina this year. I want to start day sailing again and since we are now paying $9 a foot the $30 for the ability to use it on a whim seems worth it. Now that we have 3 dogs overnights are pretty much out of the question for some time in the future so restricted sailing times is no longer really an option.
I spent Friday afternoon prepping the Lori Bell for the latest storm.
- Cleaned out the bilge, ensuring the auto pump was working well.
- Checked the batteries are fully charged
- Stored the solar panel below.
- Stored the tiller cover below.
- Removed the grill.
- Removed the Bimini and frame.
- Installed longer 8′ fender boards
- Installed double dock lines.
With the help of the marina staff we placed our spare fortress anchor in the mangroves to port of the boat and set up a bridle on the road to keep the boat from pounding into the dock during and winds from the west. You can see the anchor line in the above photo.
It looks like we will miss the bad bits of the storm but at this point only time will tell. Here is to hoping..
Ok, so I need to update the blog.
We actually have been out to the boat a few times since the last posting here. I reinstalled the Starboard aft cleat with G10 backer and now it is probably the strongest part of the boat.
Also managed to pull the head off the motor.
There is still a blockage, I will need to reinstall the head and pull the side plate from the motor. My thought input fitting is somehow fouled or hose is blocked. It is all very strange as the passages in the block are some of the largest in the motor.
Ever once in a long while you find a dining experience that makes you very happy. Maybe it was because we had been cooking on the boat for a day or so and were hungry but this place is great. It always has a long wait but you can call ahead. Now we have a place to eat near the boat with an outstanding Sunday brunch.
We have been spending a lot of our time at the boat actually on the beach, 2 blocks away, quiet and so nice.
Air Conditioning and Shore Power
Working to set up the portable unit that came with the boat. I drug out our shore power cord and attempted to hook onto shore power since 2015 and for the first time in our current marina. Turns out our finger has only one 30amp plug and one 50amp. The 30amp is hooked to the neighbors boat so I needed to order a 50amp adapter to hook up. It will be good to have AC inside the boat to cool things off and work on the motor.
Last visit out our batteries were floating at 12.2volt. This is low as they usually sit at 12.6 or and I suspect we are finally loosing our batteries to age. As these are the ones that came with the boat and were old when we got it I am not to concerned. Batteries only last 5 years so Walmart or Batteries Plus replacements may be just around the corner.
Once I get the AC running the engine is first order, followed by the bow roller and anchor setup. Once the ground tackle is sorted we plan on going sailing.
Down the list is
- new lifelines (rope)
- fix stanchion on port side
- fix broken weld on bow pulpit
- possible manual anchor windlass
- go up the mast and replace the blown off VHF whip.
- manual foot pump in head to wash hands
- new fabric bimini top